Infertility

Infertility

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Shock

I don't even know how to start this post.  Yesterday was definitely one of the most stressful days of my life.  I was sick to my stomach all day with worry about the pending ultrasound.  The day took forever and I couldn't concentrate on anything else.  Work was a complete disaster.  Finally it was time for me to leave and head to the appointment.  D was waiting for me in the parking lot.  When we got there I had to pee of course so I went back to use the restroom and saw my doctor when I was walking out.  She took one look at me and dropped everything and came over to give me a hug.  She just told me to take a couple deep breaths and they'd get me back there as soon as possible.  I returned to the waiting room and we sat there for what felt like forever.  Finally they called us back and it was a new sono tech that I hadn't met or dealt with before.  She asked how far along I was and I immediately just started spilling our whole story to her.  Like I needed to prepare HER in case it was bad news.  She left so I could get undressed and I was literally shaking all over.  When she finally came back and we got started as soon as she put the wand in I was searching the screen for the sac, which I saw right away and I could see a small white blob in it.  As she was zooming in she said "Oh I see a little heartbeat".  I immediately got tears in my eyes and said "You do??"  She confirmed and then I will never forget what happened next..........

She said "And there's the other one....I thought I saw two".

Silence.  Confusion.  Finally I was like "Are you serious?"  And she said "Yep, here's the first baby and there's the second.  I see heartbeats for both but we will measure and listen to them separately".  At some point I said my husband's name in a panicked tone and I remember him saying "It's okay, it's okay".  I'm not sure either of us said much after that.  I'm pretty sure we're still in shock.  I just cannot believe it.  Twins.  Naturally.  Wow.

Yesterday I was 6 weeks 6 days.  Baby A was measuring 6 weeks 2 days with a heartbeat of 115 (they said they just wanted to see it over 100 at this point).  Baby B was measuring 6 weeks 5 days with a heartbeat of 128.  Obviously I'm a little concerned about baby A measuring behind but no one else seemed to be at all.  I am just praying so hard that he or she continues to grow grow grow this week.

I feel greedy but I want them both.  So So badly.  Being 35 and with our history I had basically come to peace with it being a miracle if we got one baby.  I had let go of my dreams of having more than one child and pushed aside my sadness of that child not having a sibling.  But once I saw those little heartbeats I was done.  It feels selfish and greedy and like I'm asking for SO much but I want them both in my arms in approx. 30 weeks.

Here in my "safe" spot I'll be completely honest and vulnerable that the thought did cross my  mind that with two maybe, just maybe one of them will actually make it.  It feels completely unrealistic to me to think that both of these beautiful tiny little specks of life will make it.  But once again, I want them both so much.  I am praying with everything in me that next week at our second sono they BOTH have strong heartbeats and good growth.  Obviously this all just seems too good to be true but I can't help but to hope and wonder......is this my redemption story?

19 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! I thought the lack of update meant bad news, but THIS IS NOT BAD NEWS!!!!! Praise the lord! Praying for two healthy babies in 30 odd weeks. AHHHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers. Yes the very best news even though it's shocking!

      Delete
  2. That post brought me to tears! What a wonderful surprise. Lots of prayers for you and your little ones. Cannot wait to hear updates....you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers. It was the very best surprise ever. Just hoping and praying that everything continues to progress.

      Delete
  3. I am so thrilled to read this post!! Congrats!! Amazing news!! I can't even imagine the shock you and your husband felt in those moments. Sending a million prayers your way for these two little ones. And don't worry about the measurements, our twins were measuring several days behind as well, was reassured that it could be +/- 5 days and be normal and they are totally and completely normal little fellas. ;) Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is SO reassuring! I've never wanted anything this bad. Praying praying praying and God willing if we make it I'm going to be bombarding you with a million questions I'm sure!

      Delete
  4. NMG! As soon as I saw your title, I knew it was twins! Wow. so much to absorb! Do you recall if they are in the same or separte sacs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sac looks like a black blob on the ultrasound, right? I'm so good at differentiating these things. : )

      Delete
  5. OMG!!! I'm so, so, so happy for you! That is amazing news!! I smiled the whole time I was reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing!!! I've been following you for a long time - we have similar diagnosis and stories. I'm about to begin IVF #5 but I'm thrilled for you!! Will keep you & the babes in my prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana I'm so glad you commented! Thank you so much for your prayers and I will say some for you as you start this next cycle. I hope you are in a good place and feeling hopeful and positive.

      Delete
  7. Amazing!! Sending so many good thoughts and prayers your way. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this! With every fiber of my being! So many people are excited for you, praying for you, hoping for you.

    And it makes you a MAMA that you wan't both of these babies, not selfish. Of course you want your children to live. That's not selfish at all. Hoping for great news next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never commented before, but had to...congratulations! That is just incredible news. I will be praying for both of your babies and you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! First, the initial part of your post hit home for me because I remember feelings such similar things with my last transfer. Terror, terror and more terror right before that US.. actually I had weekly US until 12 weeks so every week was like that for me. Second, I can't believe it's twins! That's so amazing!!! And you are not selfish at all!!! I am hoping and praying both these sweet babies stick around for you! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Risa I'll be doing the weekly ultrasounds as well and yes terror is the only word to describe it. A week shouldn't be that long to wait but honestly it's felt like forever. And obviously now that I've seen both heart beats there's so much hope mixed in with the terror. I'm grateful for the weekly updates as I'm praying so hard it offers some reassurance but honestly there's a part of me that would just rather live in denial.

      Delete
    2. Risa I'll be doing the weekly ultrasounds as well and yes terror is the only word to describe it. A week shouldn't be that long to wait but honestly it's felt like forever. And obviously now that I've seen both heart beats there's so much hope mixed in with the terror. I'm grateful for the weekly updates as I'm praying so hard it offers some reassurance but honestly there's a part of me that would just rather live in denial.

      Delete